Welcome to the Saruyama Blog, intermittent and generally off topic. Occasionally you might see some trees...and weird ones at that.

Thursday 10 January 2013

amazing what being away does....

You spend a few weeks away from the internet and stuff pops up all over the place....so in an slightly different change of direction, here is some self promotion.  Some videos, interviews and stuff.

Yannick Kiggen, one of the few men in bonsai who could model as an alternative career, asked me some questions while I was in Japan in November,  I wrote the answers on a sleep depraved train journey, but here they are on an interesting forum, for those who don't know it....some good stuff on it and worth a read.

Also came across a few videos from Bonsai Focus.  What amazed me the most is the difference a few years shows.  Rather than focusing on the trees, just check out the difference in the balding pate...this was done in 2008? when I still had some semblance of hair...



The tree itself was a relative success.  Being still in Japan mode and yet to finish my apprenticeship,  I over worked the poor thing, especially bearing in mind the after care provided to it. I also failed to spot some fungal disease which caused some problems in die back.  If you read the article itself, a lot of this is explained but they were a little understandably against me writing that I had failed.  It wasn't a total failure as the tree was still going well last time I saw it, although the development could have been quicker if I had gone slower...if that makes sense.

Fast forward to last year, and the wabi-sabi has set in big time...


A nice little juniper which will have a good future.  Things to note...foliage density and growing tips.  Always remember the growing tips people.  Junipers love them, I love them, we all love them.  Green means go.

More work with bonsai focus is planned for the new year, more beginner stuff, continuation of projects and also some better higher quality stuff. Speaking of which, uh yeah, I got to tighten it up and continue translations...


You don't see moves like them any more...



No comments:

Post a Comment